Sunday, September 13, 2009

Gearing Up!

This week we are gearing up for Preschool! (I am sure there will be a lot of pictures of a cute boy with a backpack on here Tuesday...so check back soon!) He says he is excited about going so hopefully that holds true! Tuesday is going to be more of an orientation/welcoming day so I get to stay with him. I don't know if they do this more for the parents or the kids but either way, I am excited to stay and see what his school days will be like. I will pack my Kleenex ;)

Today at church we held our community picnics where we gear up for the fall small group season to start. I'm excited to say that next Wednesday we will be opening up our home again to young families to study The Prodigal God. I am excited to see what this year holds for our group. Every year we talk about serving and it seems every one's schedules get too busy! So, this year we decided to kick off our season last Wednesday at Gleaners Food Bank in Howell. It was amazing to hear all of the stories that one of the head volunteers shared with us. Some sad, some inspiring, some exciting and of course a lot that were tear jerking! While it was amazing to hear that they used to serve 300 people per month and now they serve 3000, it was sad to think that SO many people need so much help now due to the economy and other circumstances. Thanks to the 11 total people we had serving, we helped to sort, stack, store and stock over 2800 pounds of food in just a short hour and a half. This really inspired me to want to organize a regular schedule for our small group to serve, whether it be at Gleaners or elsewhere!! Even with our busy schedules, that short hour and a half made a difference! So, that is my personal goal...to carve out the time to make a difference somewhere, somehow!

TOP: Kelly, Matt, Christine, Me,Becky, Andy, Matt.
BTM: Lisa, Rob, Brandon, Brian.

No comments:

Post a Comment